777 - Lucky in Love

So in looking back at my previous posts, I realize that I have been granted practically every wish I had hoped for. So it began late September. I met this nice guy who had a great energy. When we met for the first time, it was simply easy and completely natural. With other 'meetings' in the past there was an awkward level of forced conversations. This wasn't like that at all. He had brought me the prettiest white roses and pink daisies. We sat that night and talked for a very long time. When he left, my thoughts were immediately thinking of when I could see him again. We got together several other times to talk and get to know each other.

In getting to know him, I began to watch a genuinely kind and caring side of him emerge. The way he holds my hand, the way he looks in my eyes, the way he hugs me super tight, and so much more. He has a soft but firm voice in the presence of my children and they respect him for it. He knows how to laugh, he's incredibly smart and sincere. I will never do him justice merely by sharing this insignificant blog. But, I will try. Here are a few things he has done that have stolen my heart in the last few weeks:



1) He took me and the kids to the beach for a hike - mind you that it was too cold for swimming at the beach, the skies opened up and the fog lifted just as we arrived at Ogunquit Marginal Way. The kids spent several hours playing on the rocks, building rock formations and feeding the ocean a rock salad or two, or twenty five.
We spent time together, just holding hands and talking, it was sweetened by the fact that he had packed a complete picnic for four and had it in his backpack. While we were there, naturally we had a "I gotta pee" moment (what would a trip be without at least one) ha ha...so off we went to find a restroom. While we were walking we found a fire station. James whistled into the bay to find someone to ask and when the firefighter came out, he said "Is there anywhere I can take my little girl to the bathroom?" So here, some people might say that it's just easier to say "Is there a bathroom around here?" But he didn't...he chose to say something totally jaw dropping and heartwarming because he is that sweet!
After we survived the bathroom fiasco, we let the kids play at a small park for a bit. This was where Jorja had warned me that on our date we could hold hands...but that she wouldn't let him kiss me. So when he did finally kiss me, and the kids saw it, they chuckled and ran off giggling. Yet, I was happy that she didn't interrupt or foil his attempt.




2) James has two amazing children who have been so welcoming of me and my kids. We had dinner the other night all of us together, and it felt like we had been together forever. It wasn't weird or awkward...and the kids were so kind. James made cheeseburgers on the grill and we made pumpkin seeds after the kids were done carving. I loved that while they were carving, he was helping them. He wasn't hunched over on the couch watching tv. He was hands on, carving, laughing and cooking. I at one point went over to Isabel and Jorja's side of the table. I had said to Isabel what a good job she was doing. Then as I walked away, she mumbled something under her breath to Jorja. So I looked at her and smiled...I said "What?" She wouldn't say anything...but Isaiah told me that she said that I was nice. :)  She warms my heart.
Another heart stealing moment was when I sliced my finger open with one of those little orange plastic knives, and before I could stop the blood flow, he had his kit out, ready to wrap it all up. Again, simple but kind gestures that just scream 'gentleman!' Did I mention he's a great cook? Yup...he sure is! <3

3) So the other night we all went to the drive in movies. We stayed for the double feature of Frankenweenie (Frankenflop!) and The Boom! It completely warmed my heart when all three of the little kids were leaning on me and I was leaning on James. He didn't mind at all, although my leg fell asleep I wouldn't have moved it for anything. Having three little heads propped up on my legs simply made my night. Again...simple but heart stealing.

4) Sunday was Jorja's last game for cheering. I had gotten an email that gave the times the girls were supposed to be there. I read it wrong, and we got to the field at 3. Apparently she was supposed to be there at 11. No one had called or texted  us to see where we were. This was the big end of the season game that they had made banners and spirits sticks for and I felt AWFUL! I had tears in my eyes as we got in the car to head home. Jorja from the back seat wrapped her arms around my neck and said that it was okay. That she forgave me. God bless her beautiful little heart! So in telling James about this, he was so impressed that he stopped by after he got off a double shift with a bouquet of flowers for her. He said that he wanted her to know how proud he was of her for behaving the way she did.
When Jorja awoke the next morning, she saw those flowers right away. She called to me, and asked where they came from. When I told her who brought them she smiled. When I told her why he brought them, she began bouncing and hiding her cute little face under her blanket. :D This again made me so proud/happy to see how much joy such a small but thoughtful gesture brought to her face.

5) So with Hurricane Sandy, we were preparing to lose power (which we did) and James had offered that if we did lose power that we could stay at his house because he has a generator and his kids were at their mom's house. Jorja took Isabel's bed (with her permission of course) and Josiah slept in the spare room. I took the couch and we were all super toasty warm. That's more than I could say about how cold we would have been in our apartment without heat. :(
So as I was getting the kids ready for bed, I asked them to say goodnight to James, and to thank him. I was totally expecting for them just to do this verbally, but Jorja walked right up to James and gave him a great big squeeze, said goodnight and thank you, and skipped off up the stairs. James and I both looked at each other. It was such a magical moment where she was so happy, and thankful for everything he's done for us, and she wasn't afraid to show it. My cup runneth over!

6) I also love how James took Josiah to Home Depot with him to get some parts and wood for the house. Josiah was all over helping him. Josiah helped him count the nuts and bolts, washers and pieces of wood. He let Josiah hold the ropes as he tied them into the bed of his truck, and then James said to me "You can tell Josiah has been raised with manners not to ask for lots of stuff...because I was ordering lunch and he didn't ask me for anything. So I asked him if he wanted something, and he hesitated like he shouldn't ask for it. But he squeaked out a meager 'yes.'" James was impressed with that behavior, but I was impressed that Josiah was so well behaved. He has his days just like any other kid, but deep deep down, he is one of the sweetest kids I know.

Overall, here I have met my 777th friend on Facebook, so I call him my Lucky Love! He is kind, thoughtful, soft, firm, smart, FUNNY, loving, and a million other adjectives that probably only I will really care about so I will spare you all from reading them here. In previous posts, I had asked for and waited for a nice guy to come along who was really going to open his heart and soul to me and my kids. James is going above and beyond that every day, and I couldn't ask for a better new best friend. I am so excited to see where this just might take us. *sigh*   <3  New love  <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Courageous

Silence is Not always so Golden!

SuperMom